From: ksiroonian@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:13:06
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] valve cover change, 81+ 258-4.2

If I recall the original plastic covers had the 2 top nuts with a rubber seal/grommet at the top and a  bolt on each end at the flange. They were sealed with RTV around the flange. They might have had some plastic pins to fit into the head on each side but not sure. The OEM retrofit kits from AMCPDC had more pins around the sides, but you also had to drill into the heads to accept the pins, and then later to actually put in small tapping bolts if I recall. The replacements also had RTV pre sealed onto the plastic flange. I think the heads were changed in 83 to have all those holes in the head to accept the new valve cover that also went in production on the late 82's or 83s. There were numerous updates and TRB's to attempt to fix the leaking/warping/catching fire valves covers. I think I heard that drilling or tapping the heads to accept the small bolts around the side were a pain. there were so many revisions on this issue that it is hard to recall. I am sure someone here wi
 ll have the full details on this. I have an 81 Concord and the valve cover is leaking a bit, looks like the previous owner had a repair done where they put in a cork gasket, and it is pulling out from the flange. Will need some time to take that all apart and see what's what. I think the replacement valve covers update kits were also being sold by Crown Auto Parts for the longest time, maybe still. If you repair the valve cover you have, be sure to use FRESH RTV, Let it cure a bit then put in on the head and tighten things down,don't over tighten. let it sit for 2 days, do not start the engine till 2 days, then slightly tighten the bolts again. I did this on one of mine and had good results. I wonder if any vendor has a regular gasket that can be used and also RTV'd on both sides for a better seal. Then there is the 87/88 aluminum replacement cover, but if I recall that involves a lot of work. I am sure someone else knows details on that, thanks.
Regards. Ken/Boston

------------------------------
Message: 5
ate: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:40:43 -0800 (PST)
rom: Nick ALFANO <71amx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
o: amc list <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,   Richard Estermyer
   <javelinman74@xxxxxxxxxxx>
ubject: [AMC-list] Valve cover switch?
essage-ID: <501412.30896.qm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
ontent-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Rich,
What year is it?? I might have an?aluminum replacement style for that.
Thanks,
Nick
Alfano Performance
849-76 st.
enosha, WI. 53142
62-308-1302
62-942-8271 after 6pm central and weekends

essage: 1
ate: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:21:50 -0500
rom: Richard Estermyer <javelinman74@xxxxxxxxxxx>
o: amc mail <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
ubject: [AMC-list] Valve cover switch?
essage-ID: <BAY144-W799CB24AE1229925C1C0DDD540@xxxxxxx>
ontent-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Can anyone tell me IF the 258 valve cover w/2nuts on top that hold it down can
e changed to the set up with the bolts around the edge, instead?
The rebuild on the 82 Concord Wagon has the 2 studs on top and it is leaking
lready.? Sure would like to go to the other set up and thought I would ask
efore taking it apart to find out.? THANKS!
lessings,
ichard
ichard Estermyer
AMO Nationals -
merican Dream 2010, Detroit August 12th-14th.
avelinman74@xxxxxxxxxxx
ww.a70sthingautomobilia.com

nd of AMC-list Digest, Vol 11, Issue 15