Re: [AMC-list] Carter WCD base pattern

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 07:30, Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> further thought: i wonder if the tbi that replaced the rochester on
> the chevy 2.8 sits on the same intake?  maybe it has the same base...
>

>From my ad hoc research I've found that no, when engines went from carb to
TBI they always went to single bore throttle bodies. The reason is simple
and twofold: the only reason anyone went two venturis was to get air
velocity up to meter fuel. No need for that with EFI. Second, 2 V's is twice
as many parts, increased cost for no advantage. I've not found one in that
era (80 - 90's) that made a "carb replacement" throttle body.

Engineering-cost-wise, if TBI was merely a step on the way to port
injection, it was probably cost effective to use the cheaper part (single
bore TBI) and make the smallest possible change to the manifold (base
adapter). There were certainly changes in the general vicinity that might
have needed casting changes anyways (aircleaner, smog junk, choke & stove,
dashpots, ports, return springs, all that small crap).