Re: [AMC-list] first issue with rosie. only minor.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 01:34, <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> so, i got 2200 miles on rosie since she got back on the road. had been
> getting
> about 22mpg. filled up tonight, and was puzzled as i only got lil over
> 12mpg
> this tank. 23 miles one way to work, 45 miles from town the oposite way as
> work. 24 miles to the nearest fuel toward town. got home from fillup, and
> about 15 min later, went into the shop and WOW the raw fuel. the short
> rubber
> line from the sending unit/pickup tube was leaking at the sending unit.
> steady
> stream.

If it's the hose...

I had one sender/pickup assembly leak recently. It's basically a disc with a
tube through it, and the solder joint failed. I think working on them
stresses the joint that's weak from age and it gives from fiddling with it.
Twisting and tugging on the hose was the final cause.

It wasn't a hard fix, but I did have to yank it out of the tank. I blew all
the old solder out, had to slide it up a bit to sand off some corrosion in
the joint area, and resoldered it. The tube goes through some stamped
assembly in the tank part, that stops motion so the solder joint isn't a
fulcrum. I forget the details. But if the tube can wiggle back and forth
BEFORE you solder it, it will fail again. Solder is a seal, not for physical
strength, it's just lead!

The trans, the air cooled Borg Warner? Unless it's broken or really dirty,
it's that throttle cable. It has actual subtlety. The clevis has to be good,
the pin tight and not worn sloppy. The cable housing has to be anchored, and
the linkage to the carb correct. There basically can't be any slop in the
linkage (backlash) when you move the throttle even a tiny bit the cable
better move. It really matters.

I've found the factory method to be pretty much spot-on. I run mine maybe
1/2 turn tighter. When it's working right, a whole turn either way is quite
noticable. Two turns and it's TOO MUCH.

I really stay on top of mine (the linkage in my Classic wagon is homemade)
and that plus a tuneup every 2, 3 years (fluid+filter change, adjustments)
is why I have 21 years and 250K miles on mine. Two full rebuilds in there
too, and it was used when I got it, who knows how many miles on it, but
certainly 75K or so, so this undersized air-cooled trans in a station wagon
has well over 300,000 miles on it. They're fine things no matter what anyone
says, less energy efficient than todays and you'll blow 'em up with too much
torque, but those are not real complaints.

You do check the fluid with the car all warmed up and parked level and IN
NEUTRAL (not park)? PARK will give false readings. Someone on this list
corrected me! Now I remember that little detail...