Re: [AMC-list] Interesting item in A.M.C....

Check the taper of the tierod end stud. There was a change on some vehicles, but I think the big cars all used the more common Ford type end. Not sure if GM used the same taper end or not. I do know there are two different tapers. If you have the smaller taper you could order a ream for the larger one and ream the hole out. The smaller one is the less common. That is assuming they have the same taper as ball joints. The reams aren't cheap though. Speedway has a 7° and 10° with the 10 being the most common, IIRC. They run $80 each. For all I know the Caddy has the right taper, you'll have to find one and check -- and of course report back either way!

------------
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:35:41 -0800
From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I discovered that the tie rods for my room mate's Rebel were expen$ive and not nearby so I have been retro checking more common Caddy tierods (they use the same adjuster sleeve) and idler arm (it seems very similar but hers is bent so I can't tell 100% till I have time to take it out and see)

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts