[AMC-list] that 64 Classic in AMC...

Hmm, that guys 3-link rear won't work out for him. (Torque tube to open
conversion.) Like another one I saw, in a 62 wagon years ago, the builder
didn't take into account the fact that rear wheels don't always go up and
down at the same time! They ROTATE. Park the car with one tire on the curb
and one on the road, for example, and this thing will tear the mounts out or
shear bolts etc pronto. It will bind at first until metal loosens up and it
breaks.

The top link has a heim in it, though I wonder if it has enough rotation.
The lower two links are simple pinned bushes and WILL FAIL. I bet I could
break that car in one day of normal driving.

The best solution I think is to mimic the original geometry -- make a
"wishbone" shaped pair of links that run all the way up to the trans
x-member and mount to either side of center (to clear the driveshaft
output). Make the ends of the wishbones studs and washers and rubber
biscuits like a shock top -- this will allow axle rotation and adjustment
for centering the axle if necessary. Still needs heims at the back end since
the rotation is in two planes.

The two long links need to be long because when the axle rotates, they
change effective length, and the arc is describes needs to be shallow enough
for the trans yoke to shorten with it. If the links are short the ratio will
suck and they will bind.

The major fore/aft forces aren't just acceleration, but also braking and
curb-bonking.

I dont think that care is safe for daily use as it is.