Re: [AMC-list] Safety Weinie

I guess I should start putting dollar figures next to improvements,
and make decisions based on that.

that is exactly what i did with casper. my 62 classic. i lived off post when i
as in the army. and EVERY time i would go thru the gate, show the military id,
the gaurd would give me crap (same idiot every day) about not having any
seatbelts. now, i know there is nothing (even the military) could do about
the seatbelts, i went ahead and installed a set in the front seats. that was
the cheapest, as i found a set of belts that came out of one of our tracked
vehicles, and looked very period correct to me. so those were free, as they
were getting thrown away, so i snagged them.

next cheapest was my brakes. i installed disk brakes from a late model
mustang. now, my car stops great from freeway speeds all day long, no fade,
no standing on the pedal and pushing the seat into the trunk to get stopped
ect. that cost me around $250, plus about 6 hours of
removal/fab/installation.
next, steering column. that will be around $500-700 depending on what one i go
with.
i am not, however, getting rid of my seats. i love my seats. my driver seat
does have a headrest that comes up about perfect. i would love to find
another seat with headrest that i can take the headrest mount out and put
into the passenger front seat.
thats about all the further i have planned out, because i will be suprised if
i ever even get enough money to do the steering column.
dave stohler
www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules