Re: [AMC-list] Safety Weinie

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 13:40, Marc Montoni <Freedom@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the rundown on the progression of changes! ANd this

If you want to talk real safety, the thing to do is to start with what race
> cars get.  A sturdy roll cage, 5-point belt, helmet, etc.  The reason race
> car drivers often walk way from 150-mph crashes has less to do with fancy
> technology than it does with old-fashioned stiffening.

Yeah -- that stuff is plain old put up and shut up -- "I don't want to die!"
-- and you're right, it involves none of that "passive" stuff like airbags.

But keep in mind, race car drivers are strapped into exceedingly customized
seats and suits and special shoes an in-suit HVAC and all that. Passenger
cars have to assume no one's wearing a seat belt, are sitting on big fluffy
chairs, kids and dogs and junk in there.