Re: [AMC-list] AMC Motorhomes?

AMC considered the purchase of GMC motorhomes in 1978 when GM axed the
program.  AMC built 5 units using a Chevy 454 and a transfer case setup
in lieu of the discontinued Toronado front drive setup that had been used
by GM in the motorhomes from 1973 to 1978.  The program was not
considered feasible without having a front wheel drive transaxle so the
deal never went forward.  There would have been a huge revamp of the
chassis required to use a tranfer case and it was too much engineering
expense for an unknown financial gain.  Part of the reason GM quit making
the GMC motorhome (the best ever made with its air suspension) was the
second gas crisis of 1978.  The one in 1974 really hurt RV sales but the
second one in 78 was the death of many RV lines.  I have more info on the
AMC involvement at home.  Bill Bryant is the official history of the GMC
motorhome association and I met with him a couple of years ago to get
more info on the coaches and to look over his Palm Beach model.  My wife
and I will be buying a 78 GMC Royale in the spring when the owners return
north.

Wayne

Wayne & Lisa (Skeezix), Bolton Landing, NY
AMO#8454, http://www.superglider.thinkhost.com/
69 Ambo coupe, 401, M12, 66 Ambo 990 Wagon, 327,PW,PB,PS,posi,AM/FM,AC
2003 Harley FLHTCI, 2000 Jeep GC Limited 4.7
2001 Cherokee, 2002 Caddy Seville Northstar V8