Re: [AMC-list] vintage hot rod nationals event footage

Re: [AMC-list] vintage hot rod nationals event footage

That's a pretty great video! A lot of "vintage" movies ends up a bit of a
larf, but this seems really modern in some essential ways. First off, unlike
a lot of stuff today, there's little or no nostalgia -- it was all new! All
sorts of crazy experimental stuff. Surplus aircraft motors, oddball chassis
and configurations, great Mooneyes fashion before it was franchised as
made-in-China mall drag,

(I'm personally not big on nostalgia -- I like to do new stuff with old
things... YMMV).

The street shots of Los Angeles (or thereabouts) are great, as are the
parking lots etc...  road trip to Oklahoma then to Detroit. Some pretty
crazy cars in there.

Everything about it is pretty good. The soundtrack is very 50s, stringy and
a little annoying, but it's all part of the package... 1959 is probably the
peak of this stuff for me; cars are getting pretty fast,  tehnology's still
approachable and affordable, everything is wide open, there's some sense of
safety but not runaway out of control yet, still sort of a subculture but
has decent media, ...

THe NHRA nationals still reads like a regular club meet, not a huge
corporate impersonal monstrosity! Wally Parks himself handing out the
"traveled long distance" award!

Almost no one will know what I'm talking about, but the NHRA timing machine
uses Dekatron counting tubes, one of my favorite dead technologies!
http://wps.com/projects/decimal-tubes/index.html

Thanks Eddie!

PS: AMC content: Didn't see a single Nash or Rambler! In 1959, probably not
on a drag racer's horizon... D'OH!

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 09:25, Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx