From: "Harrel" <harrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:43:07
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] automatic behind 304

The MoPacer got 27 MPG at 70 MPH with the 700R4 with 3 on board with luggage and the A/C running.

2200 RPM @ 80 MPH yields 24 MPG!  Drivability is excellent.  A stick car is a pain especially on Power Tour.

A 700R4 needs only a TV cable and 12V.  Its drivability reminds you of trucks?  Ever driven a Corvette?  The same gear ratios were in all automatic Corvettes from 1994 until 2005, even in Jay Leno's 1000HP twin turbo LS6 powered Toronado:  http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/113_0502_1966_oldsmobile_tornado/photo_07.html

Also, the wide-ratio 700R4 argument is especially ironic, because racers still spend big bucks buying a low-gear ratio set for their TH400 drag car, which is constructed using a modified 700R4 low gear set, resulting in a 2.75 1st and 1.57 2nd ratios, which is almost as wide as the 3.06 1st to 1.63 2nd spread of the 700R4.  And it cost $750!  http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TC&Product_Code=227500