Re: [AMC-list] ...and today's Pie in the Sky Award goes to .......

Re: [AMC-list] ...and today's Pie in the Sky Award goes to .......

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1959-Rambler-Ambassador-Custom-Wagon_W0QQitemZ290373563974QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item439b9cf646

On the other hand, if anyone wants an almost perfect near-new car, there ya go.  I must admit, it is a looker.  But $50 large dropped in my lap wouldn't get spent on that car.

---------------------

There is a 59 wagon for sale locally.  Unrestored, white, rust here & there...  The guy wants $3500 for it.  At best, it's a $500 to $800 car.  Heck, bringing it back up to nice looking and drving shape would cost $10-15k, and then you'd have a real nice car worth about...  $8k.  Probably more like $6k in this economy.  I talked to the seller the day I saw the car from the road.  We talked all about it, as well as my membership in the various clubs and participation in the hobby, and I said that if the price were reasonable, even if I wasn't interested, I'd be happy to forward his description along to other hobbyists.

Then he told me how much he wanted.

I asked him if it was a joke.  He said no, so I said "OK, thanks, bye" and hung up.  He called me back about twenty minutes later and asked what I would give for it.  I said I wasn't going to make an offer because I didn't want to offend him, but that in my opinion his price was grossly unrealistic and that I wasn't willing to take the time to write up and send along his ad to my club contacts because it would be a waste of my time at that price.  I said "thanks anyway" and hung up.

Months have passed.  I see the car periodically, still sitting right where it was.

Eventually he's going to get pissed off that he's not getting his $3500 and he's going to send the car to a scrapper and get, at best, $75.

He bought the car for for just a few quid from a neighbor.

I just do not understand the psychology.

MARC MONTONI
Richmond VA
http://FreeVirginia.blogspot.com/
Freedom.  Responsibility.  www.LP.org
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .
http://RichmondRambler.tripod.com/
http://Hasdrubal.tripod.com/Index.htm