Re: [AMC-list] A 72 Matador Gas Gauge Question Again

Re: [AMC-list] A 72 Matador Gas Gauge Question Again

It's certain to be the sender itself. The float lifts an arm that turns a
rheostat, a brass wiper across a resistance card. They get corroded. Gotta
drop the tank, remove the sender, and carefully  sand with 600 grit the card
and wiper tip.

Some parts are corroded and some aren't -- that's why it's intermittent. If
it never moved at all, or was stuck at full, it would indicate that it was
shorted or stuck or sunk float etc. The fact that it does move around says
corrosion on the card.

If you do pull it out, you might go buy a new float, filter sock and O-ring
kit for $10 or whatever. You don't want to go in there twice!