[AMC-list] some things don't change

OK, everyone with an AMC six should know this. On the passenger (U.S.) side
of the head up front are two bosses. On late 258's (and I assume 4.0's) they
mount the cast aluminum bracket that holds the alternator and A/C
compressor. In the earlier AMC sixes A/C, and I think sometimes power
steering. There's a third hole, down on the block, that moved down in later
blocks (81?) but is present on 64-80.

Guess what. The head bosses are there on the 195.6 OHV. An 82+ alternator/AC
bracket would bolt on except the block is too short and so there's no third
boss on the block. Two two are in the right place though.

Makes sense that they'd use "old six" bracketry and accessories on the new
(1964) six, but it's still funny.

I'm sticking a tiny little Mitsubishi alternator someone gave me there.
Being exceedingly lazy I dragged out a pile of AMC brackets to see what
would fit. Besides the two head bosses, some random 81+ stamped steel
tension-holder (those curved flat stampings with the slot for the bolt on
P.S. pumps, alts, A.I.R. pumps, etc) will bolt onto the timing chain cover
and do the right job once I lop it's butt off and drill new holes.

I love having a big junkbox.

With an alternator I can run an electric pusher fan and dump the
increasingly noisy and weak generator (rebuilt a year or two ago but noisy
already), get the flex fan off, quiet the motor, and improve my 1/4 mile
E.T.s by .0001 second, at least. Plus yank an ugly box off the firewall, and
one small step closer to the turbo (gotta relocate all the crap on that side
to free up space).