Re: [AMC-list] calponycar adapter to replace the T-96 with T-5...

Re: [AMC-list] calponycar adapter to replace the T-96 with T-5...

> " > i personally think something around 0.78 would be perfectly spaced,
> " > but better to go short than long unless you have hp to burn.

It is true the spacing is better; but the overall ratio in OD is worse. The
right thing to do is change the axle, but I don't want to.

> them's pretty big tires...
>
> Specification  Sidewall  Radius  Diameter  Circumference  Revs/Mile
>  Difference
> 2225/50-16       43.8in  51.8in   103.6in        325.5in        195
>  0.0%
>
> ;^>

Be nice for off road though, huh? 225's might be better...

yeah; they're fine on the back but front end roll geometry is completely
> opposite to what low profiles want - tires are set to lean -more- into a
> roll instead of staying more vertical.

And the usual suggestion for American cars is to put super stiff springs up
front to minimize compression to minimize (positive) camber changes... I'm
not going that route, it doesn't need it, it would ruin the car for the 99%
of the time I'm NOT rallying. I wonder too how much the negative camber
change on these cars match the body roll, or could be made to with stiffer
rear springs or sway bar.

i was thinking of the bolts that hold the bearing retainer on the t5,
> not the adapter plate bolts.  they probably won't fit inside the 4.25"
> bellhousing hole, so the t5 can't get any closer to the bell than when
> their heads touch its surface.  figuring 1/8" for the thickness of the
> retainer flange where the bolts are and 1/8" [or less] for low profile
> heads gives 1/4".

The solution is to bore the bellhousing and drop it in.

I'm at the point where I need a T5 to check alignment. I will try to find a
T5 bolt pattern to do a firs tpass check.

from the crank...  if the crank hole is generous you could make a
steel gadget that stuck out and carried a thinnish bronze bushing in
it.

AHA! Thanks! YOu just solved a mystery for me... one Studebaker guy was
talking about a steel pilot something something but didn't contextualize it
(and I was thinking, why turn one out of steel? That's a bad bushing
material...) and I'm sure this is what it was for. The Rambler crank pilot
hole I think is large enough to accomodate that. Not sure I'd want to do it,
but if it just needed a short extention that would be fine. I wouldn't want
1/2" sticking out!