Re: [AMC-list] calponycar adapter to replace the T-96 with T-5...

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 15:46, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The strength is in the bell. While the T-96 has most of the weight up near
> the bell, the T-96 with OD is about the same bulk/mass/weight from end to
> end, and it probably weighs MORE than an aluminum cased T-5.

Yeah, I think this one is not a problem. Just thought it bore looking at.
The mass of the T5 is up on the bell, like you say.

I'm one step from buying one of the two adapters, and leaning towards the
Mustang Depot one simply because it's cruder, a flat slab, easier to drill
for the T-96 bell...

But in fact, the shaft length is sort of an issue. There's apparently three
shaft lengths, two of them are "common" (I'm going by what I read, so...).

7.18 (sometimes, 7.125), the short input shaft, 1993 and earlier, and a
7.41" shaft, 1994-up. Most adapters call for the shorter shaft. (I think the
7.41 shaft must be uncommon.)

With the 7.0" T-96 shaft, the adapter wants to be very very thin. This
presents a problem for the T5-to-adapter bolts. But then I realized, with
that little space to fill I should just spend the money on boring out the
T-96 bell housing to 4.91", the size of the T5 bearing retainer, and lop off
.18" or whatever off the T5 input shaft, and drop it in! I have to get
(should not be hard) the T5 mounting hole pattern and see how much grief
that generates. The T5 bolt hole pattern is much wider than the T96. It iwll
be hard to provide meat to bolt or tap down the sloped sides of the aluminum
bell casting, but then I at least hve a straightforward problem to puzzle
out.

The bell is an aluminum casting; I don't know about welding to that. Sure as
hell not something *I* could do, I'd of course pay someone to weld bosses on
that I could finish the drilling and tapping of.

The other choice is 1994-up T5 and one of the adapter plates. Then there's
.85" to space out with the adapter.