Re: [AMC-list] calponycar adapter to replace the T-96 with T-5...

Re: [AMC-list] calponycar adapter to replace the T-96 with T-5...

" From: Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx>
"
" I would guess that it will support it's own weight okay but what happens
" when you start shifting like a mad man? I would think that would put a
" lot of stress on the end of the transmission and at least cause some
" binding.

maybe, but the rear mount setup ordinarily supports not only the trans
but also part of the engine, which weighs about 7x the t5.  if the
tranny is strong enough for that...  with the quad-mount setup the t5
is only supporting itself.

anecdote - i talked to a mustang racer at the scca regionals a couple
of years ago.  he had a really built 302 making about 600 hp [he said]
and was having problems with his t5 - until he realized his stock
aluminum bell was flexing at his power level and switched to a steel
one.

5speeds.com has a straight-cut t5 gearset they say is good for 600
ft-lbs, and a helical set they rate at 450.  if the case can stand up
to that level of stress, i don't think tom will have a flexing/binding
problem.

" On 10/21/2009 1:12 PM, tom jennings spouted this sage advice:
" <snip>
" > Will the T5 be happy hanging from the bellhousing only, eg. no rear
" > crossmember support? is the main one at this point. The T96 is cast iron and
" > short, so it's happy hanging in space. I wonder about the long aluminum T5.