Re: [AMC-list] calponycar adapter to replace the T-96 with T-5...

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 07:56, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The BELL HOUSING DEPTH should be 6.5", NOT the shaft length! A 7" shaft
> with 6.5" bell is about right, need the extra 1/2" to go into the pilot
> bushing. Do let the guys at the page know of the error!!

Ahh, that explains a lot. (Though I have some recollection of you shortening
some input shaft?)

I'm gonna persue this now. Fuel injection, then transmission. If it
continues to look OK I'm gonna gamble and buy one of these adapters in the
next week and have it for testing.

My major worries for a T5 in the early American at the moment are here in my
online notes http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/T5/

Will the T5 be happy hanging from the bellhousing only, eg. no rear
crossmember support? is the main one at this point. The T96 is cast iron and
short, so it's happy hanging in space. I wonder about the long aluminum T5.
Shouldn't be too hard to guesstimate. I'll google up weights etc today.