[AMC-list] Locks and keys

Like a lot of my cars, the 65 Rambler came to me with no keys.  I have a large assortment of old AMC keys and found an ignition key that works,but it did not fit the door locks.  To avoid locksmith charges I purchased an ingition lock cylinder and door locks with matching keys from an Ebay vendor.  When I got them I found that the door lock cylinders were too large for the holes in the doors.  They were advertised for 66 and later cars and I assumed that they would fit a 1965 car.  Anyway, the vendor said that the 65 and 66 model years were the same (supposed to be late (large) lock cylinders).  The early cylinders he thought had been discontinued in 1963.  Not so, it seems.

So in short, if you are buying new Rambler locks on Ebay, especially for a mid-sixties car, study the Ebay pictures carefully and note whether the exterior of the door lock has a round protruding cylinder with the key slot (small lock cylinder style) or whether it has a large circular disk all on one plane containing the key slot (large lock cylinder style).

Joe Fulton