From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2009 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Transmission Tech

> Well, there's a big difference between running a T-5 behind a street car
and an off-road Jeep! Even the Jeep four cylinder could break one under the
right rock crawling or mudding conditions!!

> The BA 10/5 trans has the same bad rep with four wheelers. It's at least
as strong as a T-5, probably a little better than the early T-5. I know
people with street driven Jeeps (and 4.0L) that never had a problem with
them after over 150K miles, and "real" Jeepers who break them in under 50K.

> -----------
> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 19:34:50 -0700
> From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> It may have been upgraded already or you drive fairly gently. They have a
really bad rep with the CJ crowd. (mine died before I got home because they
only hold 2 pints of oil and mine has less than a 1/2 pint left!)

> From: Wrambler <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: "Rambler AMC, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I'd take offense at the term TURD. I have been running one of those turds
for years, it has totally unknown mileage on it and still works perfect
between my 4.0L and 3:31 gears. Sure you can break it, but hell you can step
on a turd to if you don't pay attention to what you are doing!