[AMC-list] restore info- pacer coupe

I am working on my 79 pacer coupe, took the compact spare out of the well ,and when I pumped it back up to the 60psi, after 30 minutes of sitting?the sidewall blew our ?so?I ordered a new one. took 5 days from Goodyear, not bad.

Anyway, the spare tire well had some minor?rust hole perforations, so I think I can see the top of the tank barely. I'd like to coat the area with some kind of sealer. do you recommend bondo or some fiberglass,? or any other product, then I will spray the area with the rust encapsulater type of stuff. a thin coat? of fiberglass or bondo should do it as long as It do?not contact the gas tank, i think that is a bit below the well. Also, around the cargo area there is some kind of black asphaltic type of padding, fairly thin, with a light brown type of paper on the top side. Any idea what kind of replacement stuff I might find to duplicate this and then maybe also putting it on the base of the spare tire well underneath the new spare to protect the floor as well as insulate it? thanks for any comments or ideas.

AMC Ken/Boston