[AMC-list] Good Day at the track for a customer of mine

[AMC-list] Good Day at the track for a customer of mine

I just got a call from a good friend of mine tonight on an engine I built for him and installed in his car last month.  This is a 73 AMX with a 401, automatic.  He was at another friend body shop tonight shooting the bull with them.  The all own Chevys and provoked him to go to Great Lakes Dragway with them and make a couple passes with his car.  They have been running their cars almost every week this summer making changes to their cam, heads, carbs, intake configurations and multiple runs on the chassis dyno all summer long getting their cars dialed in just right.  Now these are stroker small blocks with fully ported ARE aluminum heads and a big solid roller cam.  They were running low 12s tonight and have only broken into the 11s once all summer.

He only got to make two runs and those were both with street tires (18" wheels with low profile tires at that) and through the full exhaust with 1&3/4" headers, bone stock suspension with traction bars.  He ran an 11.90 at 113mph with a 189 60' time spinning the tires off the line..  Not too bad for his first run in a 73 AMX in full street gear and a basic tune and no time to really dial it in.   I built the engine with 10.5:1 compression on pump gas. This engine uses our custom forged pistons, ported cast iron 51cc heads ( I did a full port on the runners and chamber) with a custom hyd roller cam I designed for him.  This combination makes it run very well on pump gas so he can drive it anywhere without detonating or running for race fuel.  I didn't get a chance to go out there with him but I think with some tuning and a set of slicks, he will easily be in the lower mid 11s .  He was extremely excited and said this felt better than his old
 446 stroker 401 he used to have.  The guys he was with were very impressed with how well it ran.  I was with him at a local drive in a week ago where he sat there for 15 minutes with the car idling and never got hot and maintained 50lbs of oil pressure at idle.

So don't think you have to sacrifice performance to have a street-able car.  He drove this car to the track, lowered his tire pressure to 20lbs and hit the lights.  Filled the tires back up and drove it 20 miles back home on the interstate. Oh, did I mention he is running a basic Carter street/strip series mechanical fuel.

Nick
 Alfano Performance
4849-76 st.
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central and weekends