Re: [AMC-list] BW O/D?

This project sounds right up your alley Jim! The Laycock-DeNormanville (LD) OD unit is the same design as the Gear Vendors (GV) unit, so it should work behind an auto easy enough. Just be aware that the LD built units aren't quite as strong as the GV unit. I don't know what GV did to make them stronger, or if LD and GV parts interchange. I don't think you'll be able to mount the OD unit between the trans and T-case. You should be able to make a cover plate for it and mount it behind the T-case though, using it only in 2wd. Who needs OD in 4wd anyway? The only problem I see in using one of these is the pump drive. There is an offset bushing that is keyed to the transmission output shaft. This fits inside a ring with a connection on the "bottom" for the hydraulic pump piston. So not only does the tranny output shaft splines have to fit into the drive gear of the OD, but that eccentric has to slide over the tranny output and be keyed (or set screwed?) onto it, and the ring has to fit over the eccentric. So even making it a divorced unit would be tough -- you'd need a custom shaft with the eccentric and ring (and splines to mate to the trans output, but that's easy enough) along with a bearing in the cover. It would be much easier to use one of the older Borg-Warner units. For one thing it's electric -- just run some wires and you're done. The adapter would have to be used as it has the front bearing.Just take the output shaft from the donor transmission and make a cover plate with a seal around it. The shaft would have to be machined to accept a splined sleeve to mate to the output of a transmission, and a mount would have to be devised. I think I'd make the mount into the cover plate, sort of like a mount plate for a drag car engine.
---------
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 21:45:36 -0700
From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I found another guy with a 740i with the auto and O/D unit for $150. I'm going to see if that will bolt up to an AW4 or 727 6 bolt 4x4 flange (I have one loose from a parts trans) If that works, maybe put it between a trans and tcase in an FSJ? Just a thought anyways.
?? I have an AX-15 coming for my '82 Honcho and need to re-balance a 4.0L flywheel to the 304. Unfortunately the external slave bell was sold before I got to his place. (went for $40!) I'm wondering if I can re-engineer my T5 bell to work with the AX-15? Then I could use the stock clutch linkage and a NP208J with this trans (I have the 1" clocking spacer)
?? It'll be awesome to have an FSJ back on the road full time again!

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts