Re: [AMC-list] Fw: rear wheel hub questions

Re: [AMC-list] Fw: rear wheel hub questions

Mike,

I'm not sure if anyone has responded to your question yet, so I'll add my
idea of what I think you're seeing.
I have a 70 Javelin with the AMC model 20 rear axle.
I have removed the hubs from the axles and reinstalled them and retorqued
the axle nuts to 250 lbs ft.
The shallow spline you see in the hub is from the installation of the hub on
the axle at the factory.
The hub is supplied without splines, the axle cuts splines as the hub is
installed on it.
Your best bet at this point is to reinstall your hubs and woodruff keys (new
keys would be nice but not necessary)on the axles in the same position and
side as before if possible.
If not put the hubs and keys on and retorque the axle nuts to 250 lbs ft.
To sum it all up, what you are seeing for cut splines on the hubs is normal
to the best of my knowledge.
Suggestion;
 purchase a "TSM" Technical Service Manual for the year of your car. Lots of
valuable information in them.

Armand