Re: [AMC-list] radio is a "hotty"

" From: "bikerfox" <bikerfox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" My '68 AMX am/fm radio has blown up for the third time in 3 1/2 years.
" The first time it got hot and stopped working. The second time it got
" hot, the car filled with some smoke, and the radio stopped working.
" I don't recall which parts were replaced.  Darn it, the radio got hot
" again just the other day and again doesn't work.
"
" What do y'all think? Bad voltage regulator (no other gauges have been
" affected, btw)? Grounded wire--car or radio? I'd like to fix this
" issue once and for all.

that it can be repaired suggests its power supply is shorting.  this
would leave the rest essentially powered off and undamaged.  that's
just a guess though.

from my computer rescue friends - it's common for electrolytic [metal
can] capacitors half this age to dry out, and a 'failed' power supply
can often be brought back just by replacing them.

" What about installing a modern radio chassis in the original box?
" Dennis Gage's "My Classic Car" highlights vendors who do such a
" thing...but the cause of it all...any experience here or educated
" guesses?

rather than hack it up, i'd seek a complete radio that mounted like
the original in the dash cutout.