[AMC-list] radio is a "hotty"

My '68 AMX am/fm radio has blown up for the third time in 3 1/2 years. The first time it got hot and stopped working. The second time it got hot, the car filled with some smoke, and the radio stopped working.  I don't recall which parts were replaced.  Darn it, the radio got hot again just the other day and again doesn't work.

What do y'all think? Bad voltage regulator (no other gauges have been affected, btw)? Grounded wire--car or radio? I'd like to fix this issue once and for all.

What about installing a modern radio chassis in the original box? Dennis Gage's "My Classic Car" highlights vendors who do such a thing...but the cause of it all...any experience here or educated guesses?

Thanks!

Steve