[AMC-list] Update on Life

Haven't posted for awhile but I have intermittently been involved with my AMCs over the past couple of weeks.  I had my 77 Gremlin advertised on craigslist and got several inquiries but no real buyers.  I did get it smogged and it passed with flying colors again.  Those who think a 76-later AMC can't be made to pass smog in California are just flat wrong.  Except for cold starts (poorly adjusted choke I think) it runs good.

I sold my 76 Hornet this weekend to a young guy who has an older "uncle" type mentor.  Together they have some amazing cars including a 1929 or 1930 Reo Royale.  It is just beautiful.  There's no other word to describe it.  They also have a survivor 1929 Reo Flying Cloud.  There's also a 1980-something Deloreon in their collection with 12,000 miles on it and leather interior, which they said was not too common.  It still smells new.

I got another letter from the city about the cars in the back yard.  I still have a 69 Javelin and a 63 Classic wagon unregistered in the yard.  The Javelin will go in my tent structure by the weekend.  I may move the Classic offsite to the space vacated by the Hornet.  Hey I only have 10 cars left.  The fleet is getting small.  LOL

I have been working on the 65 Rambler and I warmed up the 195.6 two nights ago in preparation for retorguing the head.  I'll finish it tonight and then warm it up again and adjust the valves.  Unfortunately there is a liquid leak near the rear of the engine (a pretty steady drip).  I have not checked for transmission fluid yet but that would not surprise me.  The car sat for years and I put it back together without replacing the front pump seal. Might have been a dumb move.

If it's the rear main seal however, I will be so disappointed. I might start throwing tools.  I might even put the car aside for awhile to get over it.  I used the Best brand rear main seal and installed it very carefully.  I just can't see how it would produce a steady leak like that.  As my Mom says, "don't borrow trouble" so I'll check it out tonight and hopefully find out one way or the other.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA