[AMC-list] Good advice...here's the scuttlebutt..

[AMC-list] Good advice...here's the scuttlebutt..

Greetings,
This truck does have an antitheft device; it is it's own punishment for any
thief, but I think that's about it.
The '96 speedo is not electronic so the ECU's kinda swap in and out...not
vehicle specific exactly that I know of.  It should, however, want to be
advised it's in a new home I would think...(how do you tell it?  Thru that
port you mentioned, of course).
I don't know if the ecu was previously replaced and not reprogrammed (why
would that not surprise me?).
The problem is that I just don't know alot of stuff about 'this new stuff' (my
cars, other than the Ram are from '54 thru '88...plus the Miata and the RAM. The Miata never stops running well, the RAM never starts running right...and
the rest are fixable with a screwdriver, pliers, hammer and a few good cuss
words... BUT..
I can see how an antitheft device could do this...it could stop, for example,
fuel from being delivered to the injectors oriface if the truck 'thinks' it's
been 'stolen'...and...*plink!*..idles good, but nothing more.  (However, do
keep in mind the 'lack of snot' from the start with this truck has been
'growing' until it got to where it is now...so it's something that was
developing.  (It makes me think of a filter clogging more and more...except
the fuel pressure and volume belie that).  I can't say this was exactly a
gradual development, but...not having anyone able to find a problem...I knew
something was amiss, but never could find it..or have it found.
Now it's got to be found...the truck is useless otherwise.

Jj