To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <glenn_mittler@xxxxxxxxx>; "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:36 AM
Subject: re: Fuel Filler Hose for my '59 Rambler

NAPA sells fuel filler hose in various diameters. Better to use fuel rated hose rather than radiator hose, which won't last as long and could break down and leak.

The problem might be the Rambler though. Many Ramblers use a filler hose that has a large flange molded into the rubber. Had that on my 63 American. You can't get that flanged hose anymore! What I did was buy either a 45° or 90° (I forget the angle, it was a long time ago!) exhaust elbow of the correct diameter and welded that to the gas cap plate that sandwiches the rubber flange to the body. IIRC, the elbow was expanded on one end to allow a piece of like diameter pipe to slip on. The expanded end was needed on the gas cap end to clear the cap. A wire welder works great! To save time and prevent warping the gas cap plate, I suggest just having four tack welds hold the elbow to the plate, then seal it off with epoxy. Then a straight piece of rubber hose can be used between the elbow and tank. I have also used corrugated flex exhaust pipe for a filler tube, but it can be hard to work with.

------------
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:00:24 -0500
From: "Eddie Stakes" <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Glenn below is looking for a fuel filler hose for his Rambler. I mentioned to him some Rebel Machine guys have adapted radiator hoses to use for that spot between gas tank and fuel filler tube. Possibly some of you know other tricks perhaps. If so, please share them to help Glenn Rambler again, be sure to copy your reply to him and 'tanks' in advance to all who reply.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com

----- Original Message ----- From: glenn mittler

Subject: Fuel Filler Hose for my '59 Rambler Classic(Series 10)

     Dear Eddie,
I'm trying to acquire a decent, if not nos, fuel filler hose for my '59 Rambler six. Would you have one in stock orat least know of someone who may. Here I have a beautiful low mileage Rambler and it sits yet another year in the garage. Can't put gas in the tank hence, I can't drive it. Another summer driving season flitters by.
                     'Rambler-ly' Yours,
                                                Glenn Mittler  #9020
                                                glenn_mittler@xxxxxxxxx

--