From: "Joe Fulton" <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:29:46 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [AMC-list] Groovey (not really) brakes on Rambler

Today is looking like another stone.  I decided to put the new wheel cylinders in the rear brakes on the 65 Rambler.  That sludge on the backing plates look suspicious and when bleeding the brakes this morning I got a partial pedal but the passenger side brake line became completely blocked.  The front brakes and master cylinder are all new.

The car obviously had new wheel cylinders , shoes AND drums in the rear brakes right before it was parked over twenty years ago but the car came from south Texas and I think a Mexican shop did the job because it has METRIC bleeder screws on the wheel cylinders.

So I disassembled the rear brake on the drivers side and started cleaning up the backing plate.  I notice the biggest grooves that I had ever seen where the shoes rub the plate.  This was obviously a high mileage car and it was probably way overdue for that brake job, but the shop guys left the groovey backing plate in place.  I have a hub puller, but I'm gonna try to weld the grooves and grind them flat with the backing plate in place.  This could end up to be a true Homer Simpson screw-up but I just don't want to pull the hubs and I'm not sure I could do any better welding on a workbench or welding table.  I'm a rank amateur.  I'd sure like to have a couple of NOS backing plates lying at my feet right now.  That would make life somewhat easier.   I'll try to show pics later today, if I'm not too embarrassed by my welding ability.

Joe Fulton