Re: [AMC-list] Chinese Hummers

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" Too bad Beijing Jeep didn't buy Hummer. They could probably sell their
" "Jeep 2500" (a slightly stretched XJ) over here, but I read up a bit
" on that nightmare operation. They were originally set up as a
" government operation, and the Chinese government was the major buyer.
" There was no marketing or sales operation, at least not for a long
" time. The prices were high due to not being allowed to lay off workers
" or streamline operations, like most communist plants. They couldn't
" build them cheap enough to sell over here, not unless they could
" guarantee high volumes. Even then it would be "iffy". I think they are
" still in business, but the Chinese government was going to cut them
" off subsidies a couple years ago, so they probably aren't doing so
" well.

yikes.  brings new meaning to the phrase 'chinese fire drill'...

they made a '4000' model as well, and judging by the ranks of cherokee
fans they'd sell steadily here.  not sure they could make it meet
current standards.