From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:28:46 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Not to confuse: Was: Exhaust pipe gasket help needed

I agree with you Mark! The block had to have a minor change in the casting to use the full-flow filter oil pump. There's a return line in the bottom of the pump that dumps outside the pan if you put it on an older block. It's a relatively minor change to the casting though, and sand molds are pretty easy to change. I guess they felt this change was necessary to keep the 196 in production one more year, but I'm not sure I'd have done it if I had been calling the shots. It was obviously an old-fashioned engine. But everything else had a full flow filter, so someone must have felt it was important due to the competition.

Cam bearing sizes are also different on late models, but I think they were changed to be the same as the 232, but I haven't checked that out. It's the only thing that makes sense though -- change the casting to reduce parts inventory. That's also a relatively minor change to the casting and machine work for the cam. I think the cam bearings changed size in late 64, right along with the intro of the 232.

Neither of those changes really made a difference in performance or longevity of the engine. You could argue about the filter, but I've seen many 150K+ 196 L-heads and OHVs. Most had the partial flow filter, but a couple I recall had no filter at all and STILL lasted around 100K before a rebuild. It was a tough little motor with a hard block. Maybe it was someone raising their hand and saying "why are we updating this antique?" that made them think to de-stroke the 232 for a replacement.

----------
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 22:23:51 +0000 (UTC)
From: Wrambler <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I am amazed at the amount of work someone put into the 196 ohv engine to only use the modded engine that last year!
It contradicts everything AMC and Rambler stood for.

I'm not a historian by any means.
Is/are all the constant single model year parts what started their propblems?
Of, just an attempt to gain back ground?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"