[AMC-list] An SC/Rambler Question - International Version

[AMC-list] An SC/Rambler Question - International Version

Subject: Re: [AMC-list] An SC/Rambler Question
To: Rambler Nash Jeep and familyAMC <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I always was led to believe the original SC was for Southern California (Southern California Rambler), and the later SC just suckling on the SCRambler legacy......Russ

-.-

I could believe Mark hit it with 'Sport Compact' - being the American industry widely used designate.

Southern California .. sure.. Rambler / AMC ?  Rogue , Rebel , Typhoon why not
Southern California ?

After market America did craft a Badge for 'SuperCharged' - never saw the contraction 'SC' Badge available for Blown.

Europeans used 'S' alot - 'Sport'- Ferrari , Lotus , Maser even Citroen.

Euro women claim it related to 'Sexy' , Sophia Loren types ..

Talked with a German mechanic back then - said depends:

With Ferrari it may have been a Ltd. build model hence : 'Special'
'Special' was the term most European Consumers of high end autos believed
'S' meant : " It's 'Special' .. better be for all that money.." is how one
write up went.

Talk with Ferrari mechanics - 'S' meant 'Super'.

Pry on that lid you
get told : " .. take a look for yourself.. then get out ."

I go with 'S' for 'Super' in that camp: 'Super America' etc.

British held 'S' on the likes of Mini Coopers - or SuperMarine
Spitfires being an Island Nation and all.. Soup..Super.. get me ?

Bon Jovi thought it meant 'Slippery'.. New Jerrrsey........ what'd'ja
expect ?

Porsche 356 series - pre 911 had S for Super , being a HP version of their 'Normal'
engine. 911 continued the 'S' , dropped the 'SC' & kept 'Carrera'.
S 'Super' engine above the 'normal' stock 90 engine - tweaked cam & better
carbs.

S90 an Improved version of the S coming a few model years later -
add Alloy Cyl. Barrels & higher comp pistons.

1964 brought the 'C' being 'Normal' engine so
SC I guess 'Super Normal' - ?  .. Germans ".."

The question in the 356 camp back around '63 was if SC stood for
'Super Coupe'.. as no one was certain there'd be a Cabrio 356
for '64.
There was and it was available in 'SC' so I guess 'Super Normal' .

Then there was the Dark Side.. when the notorious Porsche/VW
swing axle rear suspension
tossed the car butt backwards off the road once it unloaded..

Obviously SC then stood for Sh*t Can .

'SC' Super Coupe went to FORD Thunderbird's .. later for that.

Glad I could help .

milnersXcoupe
1981 series50