Re: [AMC-list] dwell issue

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 05:58, Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "
> " Long dwell is great, especially when there's no wear or bouncing or
> floating
> " like real points!
>
> ...up to the point where you saturate the coil; then current draw and
> heat begin to increase radically.  clever electronics could actually
> learn this point and consistently maximize coil energy.

Current limiting is of course is the job of the ballast resistor. A good
switch (pertronix, duraspark, etc) a good matched coil and ballast, is more
than good enough for our street cars and even most performance stuff.

But you're right. The switch could watch current, and in a few firings
actually measure R+L, then adjust "points close" time such that the coil is
fully saturated right at "points open" time.

But it's a fair amount of complexity for not that much gain for OEMs, though
what with all the software under the hood, maybe this stuff comes out in the
wash these days.

--
All of your arguments are invalid.
Enjoy your unstable system.