Re: [AMC-list] 1969 AMX Air Conditioner

The air boxes are not that difficult to take apart and clean up. I did the one in my 67 American last year: http://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/heater_box01.shtml. It was totally worth the effort. I don't use the heater much but the defroster works much, much better now with new seals (oiling the fan motor likely helped as well).

Matt

On 5/6/2009 2:56 PM, Wrambler spouted this sage advice:
The compressor question has been answered, but a couple of things I want to mention.

You will be best served to take the system apart and replace all seals and flap edge seal etc, or else the A/C will just wander around and may not come out where you want it to!

Be careful if you do decide to spray things into the box, bleach concoctions can destroy the carpet! or at least take the dye out of it.

Mark Price
Morgantown, WV 26508
1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5
"I realize that death is inevitable.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Selleh" <vnm.venom@xxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:31:05 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [AMC-list] 1969 AMX Air Conditioner

I am converting a 1969 AMX from non AC to an AC car with parts from a 1968
Javelin out of a junkyard.  So far i have four questions/concerns

1.  How/which way does the plate in the fire wall knockout once you remove
the two cap screws? (
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/volcomstone86321/AMX/IMG_0558.jpg &
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/volcomstone86321/AMX/IMG_0557.jpg)

2.  One of the Hoses has some chunks missing out of it (
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/volcomstone86321/AMX/IMG_0556.jpg)
how would i go about getting the hoses replaced if (a) i want to stick with
the R-12 or (b) convert to R134a

3.  Do i need to convert to R134a to update to the more efficient sayden
compressor

4.  At some point in time some one mentioned opening the under dash part of
the system and spraying some sort of mold/mildew killer so the air going
through it would not smell stale or like mold/mildew... any ideas or
suggestions on what to use or any precautions... looks like the housing is
two pieces held together with clips.