From: "Marc Montoni" <Freedom@xxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, May 4, 2009 8:44:29 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] mileage

tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> said:

>> we got 23 mpg at 65 on the 700-odd miles from the nc/va line to boston
>> in my gf's '01 cherokee, 4.0, auto.
>
>Wow, that's good. Comparable vehicle more or less too.  There's not THAT
>much difference evolutionarily from the 63 Classic to Cherokee, really.
>Besides the obvious (engine, trans) I wonder what the next-biggest hits on
>energy consumption are? Aerodynamics? (Cherokee doesn't look like an ogive
>to me.)

Well, let's see...

The Chero of course is running a 4-spd OD with lockup (which eliminates slip at full speed)...

I can't see the Chero being much different aerodynamically than a boxy 63...

Curb weight on the 4-dr Chero is 3224, on the 2-door 3180; while the classic is between 2900 and 3100... Not much diff.

I'm thinking emissions junk factors into mileage quite a bit; and I'm sure the Chero is geared a lot more precisely for efficiency.

But from there???

I think if one were to de-tune the 4.0 to deliver the "just adequate" power of the older six (an 01 4.0 is 190 hp; the 63 195.6 is 127 hp, or 138 w/ 2 bbl, the 4.0 would probably approach 30 mpg.

-- Marc