Re: [AMC-list] mileage

" From: Marc Montoni <Freedom@xxxxxxxx>
"
" tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> said:
"
" >> we got 23 mpg at 65 on the 700-odd miles from the nc/va line to boston
" >> in my gf's '01 cherokee, 4.0, auto.

btw 2wd also.

" >Wow, that's good. Comparable vehicle more or less too.  There's not THAT
" >much difference evolutionarily from the 63 Classic to Cherokee, really.
" >Besides the obvious (engine, trans) I wonder what the next-biggest hits on
" >energy consumption are? Aerodynamics? (Cherokee doesn't look like an ogive
" >to me.)
"
"
" Well, let's see...
"
" The Chero of course is running a 4-spd OD with lockup (which eliminates slip at full speed)...
"
" I can't see the Chero being much different aerodynamically than a boxy 63...
"
" Curb weight on the 4-dr Chero is 3224, on the 2-door 3180; while the classic is between 2900 and 3100... Not much diff.
"
" I'm thinking emissions junk factors into mileage quite a bit; and I'm sure the Chero is geared a lot more precisely for efficiency.

i'm not so sure of that.  xj 4.0 sticks get 3.07 gears and the autos
get 3.54s.  comparable cars would be getting 2.73s and taller o/d,
though with maybe slightly shorter tires.

with the tow pkg - which is mostly coolers afaik - and the same 3.54s,
the xj is rated to tow 5000 lbs.

" But from there???
"
" I think if one were to de-tune the 4.0 to deliver the "just adequate" power of the older six (an 01 4.0 is 190 hp; the 63 195.6 is 127 hp, or 138 w/ 2 bbl, the 4.0 would probably approach 30 mpg.

perhaps with radical regearing as well.  the renault diesel xj was
rated 33mpg iirc; a modern cdi engine might be closer to 40.  [an
interesting experiment and i even have a candidate engine, but at
rough estimate it'd take ~150k miles to pay the swap off]

" From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx
"
" last summer, casper, my 62 classic custom 2 door, i was getting 26mpg on the
" freeway going back and forth to boise. 200 mile round trip. keep it at 60, it
" dont even notice the small hills really. keeps that motor at about 3000 rpm
" tho. maybe puttin that o/d dont hurt that milage. i was amazed by it.

it's a long time ago now, but back in the early '80s i remember
getting about that in my first american, a '66 199 with economaster
carb and recurved stock ign.  oh, and 205/75r15s with the stock 3.08
rear.