From: "Sandwich Maker" <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, May 4, 2009 3:57:36 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] mileage

" From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:34, Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"
" > iirc, on today's cars at highway speeds, the 4 biggest losses are
" > aero
" > drivetrain/chassis/road friction
" > p/s pump
" > a/c compressor

ps. this is more-or-less in order

" Our ramblers aren't so good in that first category! My Classic has 8" ground
" clearance (tall custom springs and tall tires). I've always considered a
" simple air dam in front to be test-worthy. It would probably help cooling.
" If it's a waste of time it's not much time materials. For my use, it would
" have to flip up or something when I go camping. Piano hinge and a latch, so
" if i do bump a curve it lets go or breaks the latch rather than tear off the
" valance.

make it from a truck mudflap, and mount it below the radiator
crossmember.  you can cut it to practially brush the ground.  that'll
help cooling and be road hazard safe.

" Not much else is practical on a station wagon! Imagine what a rear spoiler
" would look like.... :-)

how about a roof-mounted wing?