[AMC-list] 195.6 ohv head --> ribbons

Last week at work I chopped that bad cyl head into slices. these heads are
getting scarce, but this one had four cracks in four cylinders, so sfe to
say it's unsuitable for repair. I had it hot-tanked and media blasted before
crack-checking, so it's nice and clean for photos.

My saw would take only about 9" x 9" so I could not make optimum cuts, but I
got some good revealing slices. I chopped it in half crosswise (between 3
and 4, off a bit on purpose), then chopped off half of #6, then sliced the
remaining 4, 5 cyls in half lengthwise, about half way through the ports.

the coolant chambers are of course rusty inside (nice photo contrast) and
very rough. Three of the cracks are in or near the exhaust seat, closest to
the intake seat. The water jack there is very poor, and tapered, and looks
like lousy water flow -- but the cause of the crack is a leakign headgasket,
this is just the first place to go. If it wasn't here, it would be somewhere
else, due to the cooling problem caused by the leaking headgasket.

The exhaust ports are fairly square. Not that it matters much at these flow
rates, but it would be easy to improve, and the metal is plenty thick. I may
remove the big lumps and smooth and polish the exhaust ports on my "turbo"
head, to minimise heat retention more than anything.

I'll take photos next weekend.

Someone should do this for every AMC head. You really get to see how it's
put together, where weak spots are, etc.

Sure is a lot easier to move around in pieces!