Re: [AMC-list] Concord STILL dying, could it be?

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 08:27, Ross <rossg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just replaced the module on Greta, my '75 Gremlin X.  She drives
> like a dream now.  Had a friend who replaced his Pacer's ignition
> module.  This seems to be a common part that goes bad.

Yeah, I concur. The Duraspark module in my Hornet failed oddly... it ran OK,
but was "hard to start", cranking and almost-catching, like it had carb or
dirty plugs or weak spark. Took a lot of cranking. Once it started, it ran
fine. Damnedest thing, and I could NOT find it.

One day in a parking lot it just refused to start. Did the
coil-wire-to-fender trick -- no spark at all. Walked 4 miles to the nearest
auto parts store and bought a cheap replacement (Wells F 101?) popped it in,
it started right up and no problems ever again. That was 4? 5? 6? years ago.

I carry a spare in my Classic on road trips!

PS: I do not recall if the part that died was a Motorcraft or AMC part or
aftermarket. This is one area where cheap import replacements would be
BETTER than the 1970's part -- solid state electronics has improved SO MUCH,
that even the crappiest power transistor from 1990 - 2009 would be 10 times
better than the highest quality domestic part from 1979. And it's the
transistors that fail, not the case, wires, connector, potting, etc....