Re: [AMC-list] Carb Help...

Jim,

We've had 10% ethanol in the gas around here for 30 years and this just isn't a problem. I've had lots-o-stuff with foam floats (including my 78 El Camino and I've been around that since it was new) and I've never seen one turn to goo from 10% ethanol. However, carb cleaner will do that in a hurry. Adding 10% ethanol to the gas seems to get a lot of blame for fuel system problems (same worries people had here 30 years ago and didn't happen) when the real problem is the part is just really old. There are some materials (like natural rubber) that can't take it but they pretty much went away after WWII.

Matt

On 4/29/2009 10:50 PM, Jim Blair spouted this sage advice:
<snip>
I also replace all my black foam floats with the older brass ones if possible (10% alcohol minimum in all the fuel here destroys them otherwise)
</snip>
--
mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH