From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 5:51:17 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] 196/t96/od gear ratios

I'm back after being without internet for about three days! Luckily I had plenty work to do on the house and didn't really miss it. An ad-ware program on my daughter's computer hijacked my router somehow, changing the IP addresses -- never heard of that, neither did the IT guys from my provider who came out for three hours this morning to track it down. Daughter is always loading/trying something new...

A 3.78 gear was used in 63 Americans with OD and the OHV engine, and the 63 Classic w/OD (which was the 196 OHV -- no L-head in Classic!). That should be great, but note that the Classic came with a shorter 14" tire stock. Still, should be good with the 15" wheels (which were optional). 4.10's were optional. As long as you're not towing it should be fine, and if towing just lock it out of OD.

You want to maintain AT LEAST 2000 rpm when cruising. The engine will still happily pull at less, but it will take more fuel since it's pulling harder than it needs to. It seems all the AMC sixes, even the 4.0L, were cammed and geared to cruise in the 2000-2500 range. Kick a 4.0L over 2500 and the fuel curve gets richer. Run it below 2000 and the gas mileage goes down, but it's more than happy to pull without lugging though.

------------
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:07:50 -0700
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

That axle/trans (3.77, OD) combo is *perfect* for that car and motor. 60mph
all day long with no stress, can get up to 70, 75 but I never hold that
speed. Out of OD, 50 mph is pushing it, but around town it's great.

I'm running 215/60-R15 tires front and rear. !!#!@!~~ spreadsheet program is
crashing else I'd give you numbers.

A spreadsheet that calcs all that crap is at
http://wps.com/AMC/axle-ratio-tire-MPH.xls

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"