From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
To: amc list <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:55 pm
Subject: [AMC-list] 196/t96/od gear ratios

so, im about ready to drop this new t96/od in casper. i have the 3.77 rear gear
in it now. my 62 tsm says od cars were equipped with a 4.10 rear gear. and that
the od is a .30% reduction. i beleive that would make it a .70 gear ratio? if i
am doing my math right, not sure if i am, that would make the 4.10 gear as if it
were a 2.87 rear gear. if i stay with my 3.77 gear, would be like having a 2.64
gear. with the tires i have on it, (245-45-17) cruising at 60 would be about
2100 rpm or so. with the 4.10 gear, would put it about 2250. either one of those
beats 3000 to do 60mph. so, what gear would probably work best for this motor to
cruise down the freeway? anyone have any ideas with different gears with their
od? im wondering if that 2100 is to low for this small motor, but then again, it
does have alot of torque in the lower rpms. im not sure exactly where the
sweeter spot is for this motor. anyone with an idea or advice?

dave stohler
www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules