Re: [AMC-list] Leaky fuel pump, or way too rich a mixture?

Re: [AMC-list] Leaky fuel pump, or way too rich a mixture?

Bruce,

Based on my limited experience (with a bad diaphragm in a fuel pump) you would have to put a lot of gas in the oil to do any damage.  You can often smell gasoline in oil especially if the car has been driven only for short distances.

However, if the diaphragm in the fuel pump is ruptured, some of the fuel being pumped can flow from into the crankcase instead of the fuel system downstream.  You might not notice a difference in the fuel pressure or volume even.  I would run the car and check the oil level frequently over the next few miles.  If the oil level increases, you probably have a bad fuel pump.

Joe Fulton