From: Marc Montoni <Freedom@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] TODAY'S AMC PIE-IN-SKY AWARD: $750.00 Starting Bid on Rebel
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, April 2, 2009, 4:38 PM

Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>That looks like a very restorable car.

I didn't say it wasn't.

>Rust is not that bad.

It isn't?

>Patch the quarters, floor and trunk, patch or souece doors,

Since I already have a car getting the trunk floor patched, I can tell you that
a competent job on the trunk on this Rebel would be about $2000 already --
minimum.

Floor is probably more rusted than the seller knows; from what I can see most
of the carpeting is still there -- and you can't tell what the real story is
until you pull up the tar paper.  So figure another $2,000 for floor boards.

>interior looks like it could just use a cleaning.

Assuming you're OK with recovered seats that are no longer in the factory
pattern.  He also says the carpet is mildewed, which means a carpet kit as well
(and which also suggests moisture sitting under the carpet).  A proper
restoration of the seats, carpet and other incidentals in the interior, just
from what I can see in the photos, would run about $1500.

>only thing missing in the engine bay is the radiator and coil wire.
>?750 is reasonable? to me..

Well, it's wide open, there aren't any bids yet after 4 days online.

>I think you neeed to get real. Find a better 68 rebel for 750.00 ......GO
ahead....see if you can.

There's a 68 Rebel hardtop sitting in a junkyard, but available for $200
with a better original color and complete except for a trunk lid lock and the
front parking lamps.  I walked around it again a couple of weeks ago, and it
miraculously hasn't changed much since I took this photo:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ujcWkdM-zxdqpBTd4OZcdg?feat=directlink .
The trunk floor is good, the floors are all solid, and the seats are original.
It's worth every penny of $200.

I'm not saying the ebay car in question isn't worth $750 to *someone*.
I'm sure there's one out there for it.  The point is that if the seller
really wants to sell it, the **starting** bid is way too high.

In another reply, Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>What the heck does Bueller?? Bueller? Mean?

Guess I'm showing my age.  It's a quote from the movie "Ferris
Bueller's Day Off".

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Stein#Career_in_the_media

MARC MONTONI
Richmond VA
http://RichmondRambler.tripod.com/
http://Hasdrubal.tripod.com/Index.htm
http://FreeVirginia.blogspot.com/
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
Freedom.  Responsibility.  www.LP.org
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .