[Amc-list] Hornet gets Duraspark upgrade, wagon buzzes nicely now!

[Amc-list] Hornet gets Duraspark upgrade, wagon buzzes nicely now!

 Thanks to Mark Price, my AMC BZNU is now truly winging along! Got the old Presto-lite ( not Pertronix, LOL) yanked out this afternoon, and installed the Duraspark and harness, with some splicing. It started right up, I got it in time fairly quickly, and test-drove it about a mile - what a difference vacuum advance makes! Woo-hoo!

 Not sure about the resistance wire and coil + input, I may have the coil + side running full 12v, not sure yet. The harness had been hacked in the past, so I found the ignition wire, hot when key on, off when key off, but not sure if it's low voltage or not yet. So I won't drive the car anymore and risk damaging the Duraspark module until I find that out. But figured a mile or so wouldn't hurt it. Seems like you need a resistance "running" wire, and a module "hot" wire input separate. I ran the ignition wire and the Red Duraspark hot wire both together per the old setup that was on it, just to make sure it was going to run ( and the vacuum advance works...BOY does it! No more puttin' up a hill now! ) While only a single-barrel carb, it zips along nicely now with full vacuum advance working.

 So, once I fully figure out the Duraspark wiring and my '76 wagon harness wire color codes, I look forward to some PLEASANT driving soon. No more spit and sputter down the road. But at least it's getting there.
Thanks for all the input, website references, and again to Mark for the distributor. It went to a good home ( and car ). Soon to be giving me some consistent AMC driving pleasure soon! And of course, thanks to the "other" Marc in Richmond for saving the car, and giving me the opportunity to own a running, driveable, if not totally reliable yet, AMC Hornet wagon. It's slowly coming back from the precipice of lack of detailed care and maintenance. Piece by piece, tweak by tweak, it's coming back alive to it's full potential again. Hope to drive it to Cecil this year, if nothing else. Got to investigate that roaring sound, some bearing, maybe rear axle? Doesn't sound like driveshaft.

 Well, time to shut down for now, get some rest. Bending over fenders these days is more painful at 49 years. LOL.

Jerry