Re: [AMC-list] 66 Classic (seat covers)

>From their Main page there is a link for public, top right. They have some very cool sewn stuff now! I suspect that as computer driven machines have become mainstream they have upgraded.
   I'm thinking of looking into new covers for my fronts as I do not like the current look.
   Also discovered I need a heater core. 40 years on this one near as I know, not to bad.

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>

Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 16:33:45
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] 66 Classic  (seat covers)

Autocraft is still in business --
http://www.customseatcovers.com/covers/covers.htm. You'll have to call
or go through the J.C. Whitney site to see the different fabrics and
cover styles. They only have a few specific model replacement kits,
Javelin is one of them.

For the others you need their "Custom Seat Covers". They have patterns
for all US makes and many foreign back to the 30s. The covers are really
replacement grade material made slightly oversize so they will fit over
the existing upholstery. There will be a few uncovered spots around seat
hinge areas, but only a bit. The instructions tell you to use a thin
foam pad on the seat if the original upholstery has been removed (1/2"
foam) to account for the oversize.

While they aren't exactly correct, the Autocraft does make some nice
heavy duty covers that look good, and many are "period correct". Pleated
vinyl, tweed, and several others. I've had velour (late 70s/early 80s
type) and a tweed/vinyl (maybe what Mark has). The velour was in my
daily driver for 4-5 years before is started fading a bit (it was a dark
green), but it was always parked outside, no carport or garage, and
spent two of those years in Idaho. The tweed held up very well, but I
only used it for three years before changing the seats out from stock.
The velour was over original 74 or so Matador seats, the tweed/vinyl on
stock 63 Classic seats (bench in front) with the original covering on
the lower front cushion removed. I bought some extra tweed for the door
panels and still have that in the car from 2000. I also got a yard of
the vinyl and laid that under the cover around the exposed hinge area
and stitched it in place with fishing line before putting the cover on.
Never had a problem.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Seat-Covers-Protection-Upholstery-Cushions/600015607.jcw?in_dim_search=1

Look under "Fabric Seat Cover" and "Vinyl & Plastic Seat Covers for
Autocraft. If they aren't over $200 they aren't custom made to fit the
seats in your car, or permanently installed. All the Autocraft custom
covers are installed with hog rings just like the originals. They supply
a cheap set of pliers and the rings, the pliers will easily last through
putting a set or two on, that's about it.