Re: [AMC-list] MOTOR WENT BYE BYE!!!!

>> What you "should" do and what you can often get away with are two different worlds.

>From the files of "Stupid but True"
I once shimed the backside of an undersized crank bearing with a piece of aluminum I cut from a soda can. I was driving 4 cylinder Volkswagen rabbit.  The engine had nearly lost a bearing in a matter of a couple of days. I HAD to have the car the next morning. I was a nearly broke lad of 19 or 20 going to school, so a rebuild was out. I bought a set of new bearings for about $45. I just polished the crank a bit since it still looked pretty good. But one bearing still had a serious gap.

It's 2am, stores are closed, I had to be at work at 8am or risk loosing the job, and I had an exam to that eve for my college class. The aluminum was a bit thick so I sanded a little more off the backside of the shim to make the clearance right. I changed the oil about ever 1500 miles after that and kept a close eye (and ear) out for the trouble I knew might come one day. I put it all together and drove the car for a little over a year. It eventually blew the head gasket and I pretty much sold it for parts after that.

Troy