Re: [AMC-list] 75 J-10 central Coast

" From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" My favorite local junkyard has a 1975 J-10 in front of their office for
" sale.  It's a 360 4-bbl according to the VIN.  It's up on a car hauler
" so I can't look inside.  The cab body is good.  There's some corrosion
" bubbles around the floor level of the bed.  Short bed, gold in color.
" Good tail gate.  You can get it for $750 or less.  It's exempt from
" California smog testing. I noticed that it doesn't have an AMC 20 rear
" axle.  Would it be a Dana?

yup.  jeep only used the amc20 '76-'86; dana otherwise until the
ex-amc15 d35 in the late '80s and mopar 8.25" mid '90s.  still many
d30s and d44s.

" There are also four DJs (mail jeeps) in the yard.  It may only be three
" mail jeeps by the end of the day though.  One poor little jeep with an
" Iron Duke on board was sitting mighty close to the crusher and it's
" knees were shaking when I walked by.

i was thinking more about what jim blair said about the audi-4 tf904
[as found in some djs] fitting vw engines as well and saying how a
little diesel would be nice...  i discount the prechamber gen [1.6 et
al] as too underpowered, but the '95-'03 1.9 tdi still has a bosch ve
injection pump, pre-common-rail, and 90hp with 150 ft-lbs, rpms
unknown.  that sounds pretty good for a light little dj...  it still
has a cam-drive belt, so there's a '98-'03 audi tdi v6 if you prefer,
all gear drive if i understand right, and also with a ve pump.  2.5L,
150hp, torque unk but must be in the 230 area.  that'd do for a spirit
or concord...

in principle, with the old-style injection system they could be
de-electronicized, but in practice you'd probably better be a diesel
mech with healthy bosch experience.

also a challenge would be appropriate flexplates and torque
converters.