Re: [AMC-list] Classic OD

Thanks for the help. I will see how it all works.

Keith Evenson

On Jul 1, 2009, at 11:57 AM, tom jennings wrote:

OD is easy to use, but damn near impossible to explain via text! :-) Here's
a rule of thumb to stay out of trouble:

* Engage it (push in?) at any time.

* Disengagement is complicated. First time with OD? A simple rule is
disengage only when not moving. You can't go wrong!!

It's surprisingly easy to use, and I love my OD car. Most people on this list that have 'em -- not many though -- all love them I think. Disengaging
the OD while you are moving is tricky, but you'll learn the tricks.
Basicalyl you can't disengage it when OD is in use. You'll bend the control cable or break something. YOu can't disengage OD when you are coasting, with OD automatically disengaged below 28mph. Well you CAN, but it chunks hard
out of OD and might break something.

Sounds hard, easy to learn though. It's all tactile.

Vacuum wipers, with the booster pump AMC uses, are great. Better than
electrics in my opinion. Silent, infinitely adjustable, and no, they DO NOT
slow down when you hit the gas -- if the parts are all working right.
THey're all 40 - 50 years old and in serious need of repair. For about $100 Peter Stathes and others will restore your wiper motor to new, and it'll
last decades. Same with the pumps.