[AMC-list] almost OT: small trucks

When I was a kid, pickup trucks were stripped down work vehicles, usually a
lot cheaper than cars. Usually sixes with manual transmissions. They soon
turned into bloated luxo-bombers assumed to hav the largest engine possible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/28/automobiles/28MAHIND.html?hpw

Mahindra, an Indian co. around for a long time, will intro a small, 30 mpg,
stripped down pickup truck in the US.

“Ford, G.M. and Dodge have had a lot of years to build this kind of truck,
and they haven’t done it,” Casey McGraw, vice president for sales at Global
Vehicles, said of the diesel-powered pickup. “And we know that the price
point has to make up for lack of name recognition.”

(Weak) AMC tie-in: Mahindra was formed in the 40's to assemble Willys Jeeps.

I've always been surprised that you can't buy an american made smallish
stripped down pickup truck.